For thirteen days in October 1962 the world was on the brink of nuclear war - The Cuban Missile Crisis
At 8:45 AM on October 16, 1962, National Security Advisor McGeorge Bundy alerted President Kennedy that a major international crisis was at hand. Two days earlier a United States military surveillance aircraft had taken hundreds of aerial photographs of Cuba. CIA analysts, working around the clock, had deciphered in the pictures conclusive evidence that a Soviet missile base was under construction near San Cristobal, Cuba; just 90 miles from the coast of Florida. The most dangerous encounter in the Cold War rivalry between the United States and the Soviet Union had begun.
Day 2, October 17
American military units begin moving to bases in the Southeastern U.S. as intelligence photos from another U-2 flight show additional sites; and 16 to 32 missiles. To avoid arousing public concern, the president maintains his official schedule, meeting periodically with advisors to discuss the status of events in Cuba and possible strategies.
President Kennedy attends a brief service at St. Matthew’s Cathedral in observance of the National Day of Prayer. After, he has lunch with Crown Prince Hasan of Libya, and then makes a political visit to Connecticut in support of Democratic congressional candidates.
Above: Map of the western hemisphere showing the full range of the nuclear missiles under construction in Cuba, used during the secret meetings on the Cuban crisis.
Below: Photo secretly taken by a U2 spy plane of a nuclear missile launch site in Cuba.
-from the JFK Library
350 Notes/ Hide
- brandellidiribellione reblogged this from nicks-boogie
- nicks-boogie reblogged this from ourpresidents
- nicks-boogie likes this
- muhammadmorris reblogged this from ourpresidents
- krystaltimberlake likes this
- from-rags--to-riches reblogged this from ourpresidents
- time-for-maps likes this
- gazetaoriental reblogged this from theatlantic and added:
- gazetaoriental likes this
- aluminumjewelry likes this
- anime-hentai likes this
- cougar--dating reblogged this from ourpresidents
- infertility-76749 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- lawn-care-salem-va reblogged this from ourpresidents
- gold-kaufen reblogged this from ourpresidents
- acupuncture-roanoke reblogged this from ourpresidents
- cheapest-life-insurance reblogged this from ourpresidents
- urban-chat reblogged this from ourpresidents
- nashtari reblogged this from ourpresidents
- sinaisthimata likes this
- justtoexist reblogged this from jackandjackie
- horizonisoblivious reblogged this from theatlantic
- edwardatlee likes this
- This was featured in #History
- ourpresidents posted this