Lou Henry Hoover aids Santa in distributing gifts to needy youngsters at the Central Mission party in the Fox Theater. Her daughter-in-law, Mrs. Herbert Hoover, Jr. stands at her side. Washington D.C., December 24, 1931.
Notice something different? Us too, so we asked an archivist at the Hoover Library about the collage-like look of this image. Turns out it was like a proto-Photoshop: newspapers sometimes blacked out the background of an image so it would stand out better in black and white print.
-from the Hoover Library
Thanks to amooseintexas for asking about Mrs. Herbert Hoover, Jr. Her maiden name was Margaret Eva Watson. She met Herbert Jr. while they were both students at Stanford University, and the couple was married in 1925. They had three children together, and many in the Hoover family have since been named after Margaret.
We used the original description for this photo, which is why her full name did not appear in the post. We appreciate the reminder!
68 Notes/ Hide
- 8244elephant likes this
- ooioo00oo reblogged this from ourpresidents
- boxing--equipment reblogged this from ourpresidents
- anime-hentai likes this
- heroesofspace reblogged this from ourpresidents
- leahlasley likes this
- emturner likes this
- criticandacynic reblogged this from ourpresidents
- mallystumblr likes this
- txmac5911 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- txmac5911 likes this
- wizardblue reblogged this from ourpresidents
- hutchiam reblogged this from ourpresidents
- congressarchives likes this
- amooseintransition said: I find it interesting that Lou “Badass Momma” Hoover’s full name is given but not her DIL. Is there a reason for that?
- nickthejam likes this
- obitoftheday likes this
- binaryandio likes this
- ourpresidents posted this