Thomas Paine is selected as NASA’s Administrator on this day in 1969.
At 10:30 a.m. you and the Vice President will be escorted from your office to the Fish Room where you will be met by James M. Murray, President of the National Space club….”
Love it when the Presidential Daily Diary reads like an adventure game. The appendix pictured above is from Richard Nixon’s presentation of the Robert H. Goddard Memorial Trophy at the White House on March 5, 1969.
The trophy was presented to James Lovell, on behalf of the three Apollo 8 astronauts. After the ceremony, President Nixon announced that Thomas Paine had been selected as NASA’s third Administrator (thanks NASA History Office).
And if you are looking for a daily dose of space awesomeness, be sure to check out @NASAHistory.
-from the Nixon Library
17 Notes/ Hide
- vampirecd likes this
- sleeponsleepon likes this
- thequeentothequeensassassin reblogged this from ourpresidents
- thequeentothequeensassassin likes this
- rainbowsandscholarship likes this
- mofostan likes this
- the-liberty-republican reblogged this from blondesforreagan
- the-liberty-republican likes this
- vncleiroh reblogged this from ourpresidents
- blondesforreagan reblogged this from ourpresidents
- blondesforreagan likes this
- houseoflabeija likes this
- usnatarchives likes this
- todaysdocument likes this
- bugga26 likes this
- abdullahabdulk likes this
- ourpresidents posted this