A Brief History of Camp David
The Presidential retreat was originally called “Shangri-La” by Franklin D. Roosevelt, but in 1953, Dwight d. Eisenhower re-named it “Camp David” in honor of his grandson David Eisenhower.
The name change rankled Democrats and there was talk of the name reverting to “Shangri-La” after Eisenhower’s presidency, but President Kennedy vetoed the idea and Camp David it remained.
Extensive redecorating and building took place at Camp David on Ike’s watch. Picnic tables, an outdoor cooking area, a bomb shelter and a projection booth were added during the remodeling.
Ike valued Camp David as a place to relax, but he also conducted official business there. Recuperating from a heart attack in late 1955, Eisenhower held Cabinet meetings and four meetings of the National Security Council at the camp.
In July 1957 he flew to Camp David by helicopter as part of the civil defense exercise “Operation Alert.” Ike was the first president to travel to Camp David by chopper. The helicopter cut the commute from Washington, D.C. down from two hours to just thirty minutes.
Eisenhower also used Camp David to entertain foreign leaders, a tradition that continues today.
In April 1961, former President Eisenhower traveled back to Camp David for the last time when he met President Kennedy there to review the failed Bay of Pigs operation.
Eisenhower’s many trips up the mountain, combined with his renaming of the compound and his highly publicized use of it for recreation and official business, helped make “Camp David” synonymous with the modern American presidency and international diplomacy.
Photo: David Eisenhower at the entrance to his namesake Presidential retreat, Camp David. 10/2/60.
118 Notes/ Hide
- companioncube76 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- teamputvedev likes this
- tesskaitlyn likes this
- tibbles313 likes this
- conspiracytheorist79 reblogged this from ourpresidents and added:
- ketutgedesuliarta likes this
- melodyluvsyou likes this
- cityofmadisonin reblogged this from ourpresidents
- ifweallhadabong-weed-allgetalong likes this
- revbbruaw likes this
- revbbruaw reblogged this from ourpresidents
- wanhasha likes this
- eyespy203 likes this
- a--loner likes this
- chynatako likes this
- fpnetworkinc likes this
- txmac5911 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- txmac5911 likes this
- rayssakamila likes this
- eclecticdreamweaver likes this
- devinhobbs1991 likes this
- yachary likes this
- iammyfather reblogged this from twistedlandstourguide
- jsarevisited likes this
- thank-god-i-dont-think-out-loud likes this
- thecactusthatfoundthebeat likes this
- adewallenma likes this
- dehcheshmeh likes this
- dehcheshmeh reblogged this from ourpresidents
- chipmunksback reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- twistedlandstourguide reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias and added:
- twistedlandstourguide likes this
- insiderinciter7 reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- beyondtheoath likes this
- palepeteparker likes this
- qraccoon likes this
- letinout likes this
- crazysexycool13 likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from ourpresidents
- briiansteven likes this
- surillamaguy likes this
- sevdimsadece likes this
- juliuspascual reblogged this from ourpresidents
- dimwen likes this
- chrisdelacio likes this
- mollierodriguez likes this
- hypotheticalimaginations reblogged this from ourpresidents