“That amendment, as you know, provides for the right to vote of all of our young people between 18 and 21, 11 million new voters as a result of this amendment…”
-President Nixon speaking at the Twenty-sixty Amendment Certification Ceremony. July 5th, 1971
The Twenty-sixty Amendment to the Constitution lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 years of age. President Nixon certified this addition to the Constitution 40 years ago today, and you can watch a clip of the ceremony here.
Our education specialist at the Nixon Presidential Library has created an interactive exhibit on the Twenty-sixth Amendment where you can explore documents, video, and correspondences related to the voting age in America. We think it’s pretty interesting, and you can check it out through the Presidential Timeline.
40 Notes/ Hide
- aluminumjewelry likes this
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- anime-hentai likes this
- sanfranciscojewelers reblogged this from ourpresidents
- sanfranciscojewelry likes this
- dreamhost-coupon likes this
- amalia-amee reblogged this from todaysdocument
- taylorlorenz likes this
- todaysdocument reblogged this from ourpresidents
- obitoftheday likes this
- ourpresidents posted this