The Department of Defense, the National Security Council, and the Central Intelligence Agency were all established on this day through the National Security Act of 1947. President Harry S. Truman signed the Act on July 26, 1947.
Later, in 1949, amendments would be made to the National Security Act. Among the changes to the national security system was the conversion of the National Military Establishment into a new Department of Defense.
Here’s a photo of President Truman at his desk in the Oval Office, signing National Security Act Amendments on August 10, 1949.
68 Notes/ Hide
- firebombing reblogged this from ourpresidents
- myhandmadejewelry likes this
- wineclubsubscriptions2 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- anime-hentai likes this
- sanfranciscojewelry likes this
- ephedramahuang reblogged this from ourpresidents
- austin-movers likes this
- dreamhost-coupon likes this
- 5at8-wu-wang-bu-li likes this
- last--minute likes this
- chaffandgrain reblogged this from ourpresidents
- txmac5911 reblogged this from ourpresidents
- txmac5911 likes this
- alternrg likes this
- wateringgoodseeds said: A day that should live in infamy?
- todaysdocument likes this
- ourpresidents posted this