Peace Treaty between Egypt and Israel
On March 26, 1979, on the North Grounds of the White House, Presidents Jimmy Carter and Anwar Sadat and Prime Minister Menechem Begin joined hands in celebration of the signing of the “Treaty of Peace Between the Arab Republic of Egypt and the State of Israel.”
This is one of the most requested photographs from the Carter Library.
A Brief History of Camp David
The Presidential retreat was originally called “Shangri-La” by Franklin D. Roosevelt, but in 1953, Dwight d. Eisenhower re-named it “Camp David” in honor of his grandson David Eisenhower.
The name change rankled Democrats and there was talk of the name reverting to “Shangri-La” after Eisenhower’s presidency, but President Kennedy vetoed the idea and Camp David it remained.
Extensive redecorating and building took place at Camp David on Ike’s watch. Picnic tables, an outdoor cooking area, a bomb shelter and a projection booth were added during the remodeling.
Ike valued Camp David as a place to relax, but he also conducted official business there. Recuperating from a heart attack in late 1955, Eisenhower held Cabinet meetings and four meetings of the National Security Council at the camp.
In July 1957 he flew to Camp David by helicopter as part of the civil defense exercise “Operation Alert.” Ike was the first president to travel to Camp David by chopper. The helicopter cut the commute from Washington, D.C. down from two hours to just thirty minutes.
Eisenhower also used Camp David to entertain foreign leaders, a tradition that continues today.
In April 1961, former President Eisenhower traveled back to Camp David for the last time when he met President Kennedy there to review the failed Bay of Pigs operation.
Eisenhower’s many trips up the mountain, combined with his renaming of the compound and his highly publicized use of it for recreation and official business, helped make “Camp David” synonymous with the modern American presidency and international diplomacy.
Photo: David Eisenhower at the entrance to his namesake Presidential retreat, Camp David. 10/2/60.
The Camp David Accords
Three scheduled days at Camp David turned into thirteen intensely frustrating ones. When the three-way negotiations began on Wednesday, September 6, 1978, President Jimmy Carter found both Egyptian President Anwar Sadat and Isreali Prime Minister Menachem Begin clinging to old arguments and repetitious statements.
After two days, despite some amicable moments, President Carter felt that more progress could be made if they did not meet directly. He spent much of his time listening intently to heated arguments and realized that a whole new approach was needed. By Saturday, September 9, Carter worked with a team led by Secretary of State Cyrus Vance and National Security Advisor Zbigniew Brzezinski to draft an American proposal.
After twenty-three drafts and continuous debates on wording, the U.S. delegation came up with a final framework agreement on Sunday, September 17, that the Egyptians and the Israelis could agree on. Resulting in the comprehensive Camp David Accords, these meetings laid the groundwork for further negotiations, and for the Egyptian-Israeli Peace Treaty.
Photo: A scene from the historic signing of the Camp David Accords on Sunday evening, September 17, 1978, in the East Room of the White House.
-from the Carter Library
July 12, 1957: President Dwight D. Eisenhower became the first president to ride in a helicopter. The logistical inefficiencies of presidential motorcades and taking off and landing Air Force One made the use of the helicopter (now known as Marine One) to transport the president a viable option. Eisenhower flew in a Bell Ranger H-13J, a two-seater, and was able to more easily travel to places such as his summer home in Rhode Island or Camp David in Maryland.
A big Tumblr welcome to the Newseum!
John F. Kennedy, Jr. sits in the pilot’s seat of the Presidential helicopter during a weekend trip to Camp David in Frederick County, Maryland.
Photo Credit: Robert Knudsen/JFK Library. View more here: http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/Archives/JFKWHP-1963-03-31-A.aspx