A List of Love and War
Today is the wedding anniversary of Harry and Bess Truman. Each year, Harry wrote Bess a letter on June 28. Over the course of their 60-year courtship, Harry devotedly wrote his wife more than 1,300 letters.
Pictured here is the first page of Harry’s 1957 anniversary letter to Bess. In it, Harry frankly lists the top news from each year including:
- 1920 One happy year.
- 1921 Going very well.
- 1922 Daughter 4 mo. old.
- 1925 Out of a job.
- 1926 Still out of a job.
- 1927 Presiding Judge - eating again.
- 1937 Good time in Washington.
- 1938 Very happy time Margie 14.
- 1945 V.P + President. War End
- 1948 A terrible campaign. Happy day.
- 1957 Well here we are again…